Friday, August 1, 2008

Grandpa Moon

Last weekend I went to see one of my favorite people in the whole world, my grandpa Moon. Not only did I get to see my grandpa but my mom and Craig picked me up from the airport and went good old Malad with me. Every morning I would wake up and go running, my mom would meet me with the 4 wheeler and we would go and look for arrowheads. We always go looking and usually find a lot of flint (fragments of arrowheads) but you rarely find an arrowhead. My mom found the cutest little arrowhead I've ever seen, seriously so tiny and fat that I'm not sure what the Indians would have killed with it. She gave it to me because she had given my sister the last one, thanks mom! Of course we ate a lot of good food, helped my grandpa drive in all the equipment he had out in the hay lands (I wasn't much help since I can't drive stick - I know, how pathetic! So i just followed on the 4-wheeler every time). We sat in the swing and talked every night (one of my favorite all time things to do), and I actually got both my mom and my aunt Jeri to play games with me! Fun fun fun!!!
On the 24th we went to the Ogden Rodeo. It's been a long time since I've been to a rodeo and I guess I just expected the stands to be full of rugged cowboys but instead it was packed full of some serious white trash! I don't know what attracts this type of people to the rodeo?!? Maybe it was just because it was in Ogden, I don't know! I think there may have been two cowboys in the crowd and my grandpa was one of them, and the most handsome one might I add. It might have been smart to check what time the stupid thing started so that we didn't have to sit in the blazing heat for 2 1/2 hours. We wanted to be early but by the time it started we were about ready to leave. My mom played grandma to every kid around us giving them all candy (except for the obnoxious little kids in back of us that kneed us in the back every ten seconds, they didn't get any). Do you think she misses having her grand kids around??? The lady next to my grandpa, too bad she didn't make the pic, was totally flirting with him all night and my mom was getting pissed, funny! She kept asking me "Is that lady irritating grandpa?" meaning, is she still flirting with him. What can I say, he's pretty darn good lookin'!
I'm sure if you zoom in on this one you will see sweat literally dripping down our faces.
Finally the rodeo starts with skydivers and the last one carried in the flag.
Between the rodeo and the fireworks they had dirt bikers doing tricks, again quite the white trash sport. If we they would have had a little roller durby we would have covered all our white trash bases.
On Sunday we got to go to my cousin Megan's mission farewell. It was so good to see everyone! Sometimes you don't realize how much you miss your family until you get to see them all again. My cousin Rick and his wife Mindy had their baby and so after the farewell we got to stop by the hospital and see little Tirk (isn't that a cute name?). Sorry, no pictures of the little guy.
It was so fun! The time just goes by way too fast! I love my grandpa so much and he will always be one of the most influential people in my life! Hopefully I'll make it back up there soon!

7 comments:

Erica said...

My little lip is just quivering right now! I wish that I could have been there with you guys. I wish I could have been there for everything but the rodeo. Actually I don't mind rodeos, but with my kids it would be a nightmare. The only problem that I have with this post is your reference to dirt bikers being white trash. Is the fact that I'm sitting here watching the X-Games dirt biking event with Cody mean that we're white trash? Quite possibly it does because Cody is a dirt biker also. MAN, I'm totally depressed now. Well, at least you still love me! At least I hope you still do!!

Bobbi Simkins said...

your hair is so long and beautiful! i don't think i've ever seen it that long. im glad that im not the only white trash girl that goes to rodeos. what can i say im a hick whether i like it or not.

Anonymous said...

looks like a fun trip. I totally agree that seeing your family makes you realize you miss them. I always miss mine so much more right after I see them and then have to leave.

Anonymous said...

well, the GPS that was leading us to Nauvoo tried to get us to take the longest route possible so it took six hours to get there. But we just followed google directions on the way home and it only took 4 hours. It was fun even though we were there less than 24 hours.

Jenny said...

I love that the lady next to Grandpa was flirting with him. I mean, how could she not? He is a fine looking man! Sounds like you had such a fun trip. I'm jealous. Can you email your address to me at jennylynmoon@gmail.com? I am so slow but I am finally sending out the last batch of thank you cards and I have one with your name on it. Thanks!!!

Janey said...

Hey Emily! Came across your blog. Looks like you are doing great and you look so cute!

Jody said...

We also have covered all our white trash bases this summer. We've done the rodeo AND a demolition derby. I'm pretty sure it doesn't get any better than that - white trash-wise. And to make it even better, there's a dirt bike show this weekend that my boys are BEGGING to go to.
How funny about that woman flirting with Grandpa! After reading this I'm totally homesick for him.