So we had 2 turkeys in our teeny tiny little freezer from Thanksgivings past. We get a turkey every year and every year we clean out a spot in the freezer for the new one. Well, we've never had to actually cook turkey for a Thanksgiving dinner because we are always with family so why in the name of all that is good in this world would I ever cook one by choice, right? Well I'd had it with these stupid turkeys and told T.J. that I was going to give them to caring ministries. Well, he freaked - he loves him some turkey and insisted that we not only keep them but obviously cook them.
So this might be something totally common to most of you but being the vegetarian that I am, totally sicks me out! Not only is it bad enough the you are dealing with an entire bird but it turns out you have to molest it before you cook it. The feet are tied together with what looks like a zip tie that you have to take off so that you can go digging in the lower orifice of the bird to get the neck. Then you lovingly tie the feet back up and go into the upper orifice to get the remaining organs which happen to be in the cutest little baggie you've ever seen - gag. Seriously!?! T.J.'s aunt Sandy (thanks Sandy) offered to come over and help and luckily saw the look of horror on my face and did the molesting for me (again, thanks Sandy!). Then you have to check the skin for any remaining feathers that might still be attached to your little gobbler, pick up this entire 16 pound bird and plop it into your pan to cook.
The bird cooks, looks great, smells good. So I ask Sandy, "How do you cut this thing?" to which she ripped off a leg and said, "like that!". Let's just say - hopefully it will be awhile before I cook another turkey!


13 comments:
Sick, I am right there with you! I will not touch those things nor attempt to molest them and cook them. Props to you!
Okay...so now that you explain it like that....I don't think I can eat turkey ever again! UGH....
Obviously I have never cooked or molested a turkey either!
Hahaha...you are so funny Em! I totally get ya on the molesting part, it totally grosses me out too! Good luck with the 2nd turkey you said you had in your freezer! lol
I love you! Yeah I will probally never do that! SICK! I am glad you expierenced it for me! love you! WHy are we playing phone tag? I miss my EMybear!
That is so funny! Here I am picturing you just freaking out over the nasty little organs! I can relate. I eat meat and last year, I made one for Christmas and invited my family over. Just doing all that makes you so grossed out by the time it's done, you don't even want to eat it! You should have told T.J. if he wanted the bird, he would have to be the one to clean it out!
lol this is awesome. ya its way gross luckily reece is the cook in our family... cuz i could never do it! loves
ha ha. that is funny. i wouldn't know how to cook a turkey either. grandma always takes care of that for me. i didn't know you were a vegetarian. i don't think i could do it. i like meat too much.
haha! Em you make me laugh! I just got back from Powell, so I'll put some up! How are you!?! I love Takael, do you know that she is my sisters roomate?
Okay, so I do eat meat and I've never cooked a turkey and don't plan to do so in the future. I don't even like turkey and now with your explanation of the whole process don't plan to do it EVER! I sure as heck don't ever want to molest a turkey either. I still loves ya.
oh no! this is too funny and icky! i love meat, but eww...
Haha I love the way you tell this story. I can hear you talking as you say it. I can even picture the faces you're making. Love it! Come back down to Denver soon!!
I am with you, I think it is totally disgusting! I am not a big meat eater and I hope to never cook a turkey if it is up to me!
HA HA! This made me laugh! I cooked my first turkey last week that's almost been in my freezer for an entire year. I thought I had pulled out everything I was supposed to, but to my horror I cooked the giblets...plastic bag and all! YUCK!
Post a Comment